A Family-Run Firm Serving Indiana
At Harper and Harper, LLC, our lawyers collectively boast over a century of legal knowledge, having successfully represented clients in some of northwest Indiana’s highest-profile personal injury and criminal defense cases.
Founded by attorney Robert Harper and his son, attorney Harold Harper, our law firm is in the truest sense a family-owned and -operated firm. Our distinguished roster also includes attorneys Jesse Harper, James Harper and Jessica Smithey. Just as their father did, brothers Harold, Jesse and James bring an unwavering dedication and intensity to the practice of law.
All hailing from northwest Indiana, the Harper attorneys likewise have deep roots in the region and each continues to live and raise their families here. Robert Harper was born in Gary, graduated from Merrillville High School, taught elementary school in Portage and earned his legal degree from Valparaiso University.
Harold Harper, Jesse Harper and James Harper were born in Valparaiso and graduated from Valparaiso High School. Harold and Jesse, like their father, graduated law school at Valparaiso University. James graduated from Georgetown Law and the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University. Our newest attorney, Jessica Smithey, is also a longtime resident of northwest Indiana. She graduated from Purdue Calumet and Valparaiso University School of Law.
Our attorneys have handled cases in nearly every court in northwest Indiana, both state and federal, including:
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Lake, Porter and La Porte County Circuit Courts
- Crown Point City Court
- Lake Station City Court
- Hobart City Court
- Gary City Court
- Merrillville Town Court
- Nearly all Lake, Porter and La Porte County Superior Courts, both civil and criminal
The litigators on our team know these courts well and are fully prepared to bring cases before these courts.
We Are Dedicated To Giving Back To Our Community
Our attorneys are committed to giving back to northwest Indiana and generously allocate both their time and financial contributions to local organizations such as:
- Hilltop Neighborhood House
- Respite House – a Halfway House for Men
- Kiwanis Club of Valparaiso
- City of Valparaiso Parks Department
- Porter County Sheriff’s Police – Northwest Regional Sheriff’s (Children’s) Camp
- Porter County Public Defender’s Office
- Portage Recovery Association
- Opportunity Enterprises
We are committed to investing in our community in more ways than just our law practice, and by supporting local organizations, we hope to create a durable connection with our neighbors and positively impact them.
Our Attorneys Have Served As Leaders In The Indiana Legal Profession
As a testament to their deep-rooted commitment to northwest Indiana, Harper and Harper, LLC, attorneys have held numerous professional roles in the region, including:
- Elected Porter County Prosecuting Attorney
- Elected Portage City Judge
- Elected Center Township Trustee
- Elected Porter County Commissioner
- Board Member, Hilltop Neighborhood House
- Vice President, Porter County Bar Association
- President, Porter County Commissioners
- General Counsel, Porter County Council
- Board Member, Central Neighborhood Association
- Counsel, Porter County Government Nonprofit Charitable Foundation, Inc.
Our personal injury and criminal defense attorneys at Harper and Harper, LLC, are dedicated to championing their clients’ rights and to serving the greater northwest Indiana community.
Let Us Help You With Your Case
Whether you are facing serious criminal charges, or you were injured in a severe accident and need help getting financial compensation for the harm that you suffered, we are here to help you. Our skilled litigators are ready to talk to you and determine what your options are. If you are interested in getting a free, confidential consultation with a member of our team, then you can call our office at 219-733-8837 or send us a message online with a brief description of your situation.